The Arizona National Livestock Show Skill-A-Thon is a competition designed to reward outstanding young people who possess the skills and knowledge essential for efficient and humane production of livestock in a seedstock or commercial operation. Open to all 4-H and FFA members across the U.S., the contest provides the opportunity for you to apply your knowledge to a variety of topics related to the production and management of beef cattle, swine, sheep and meat goats.
By participating, students are eligible to apply for scholarships from the Arizona National Livestock Show!
The contest is divided into two categories:
- Juniors: at least 8 years of age and less than 14 on January 1, 2019
- Seniors: at least 14 years of age and no older than 19 on January 1, 2019
The competition consists of both individual and group events. Juniors compete in 2 team events and 3 individual events; seniors compete in 2 team events and 3 individual events, plus a quiz. Awards will be given for both individuals and team efforts.
- Location: Youth Activity Building
- Entry Deadline: December 10
- Entry Fee:
- $10 / Team
- $5 / Individual
Contest information is available in the Arizona National Livestock Show Premium Book; resources available below. For more information call (602) 258-8568.
CONTEST ROTATION SCHEDULE
JUNIORS (260 points possible)
- Animal Care (Swine Identification)- Worth 50 Points
- Livestock Judging (Group Card with Questions)- Worth 50 Points (Questions will give 10 Bonus Points)
- Meat ID (10 Cuts- Retail Names Only)- worth 50 Points
- Breed ID (10 Breeds)- worth 50 Points
- Equipment ID (10 Items)- worth 50 Points
SENIORS (310 points possible)
- Quality Assurance (Medication Label and Injection Practicum)- worth 50 Points
- Livestock Judging (Group Card with Questions)Worth 50 Points (Questions will give 10 Bonus Points)
- Knowledge Test- 25 Questions from ANLS Test Bank- worth 50 Points
- Meat ID (20 Cuts with 10 Questions on Primal/Wholesale Names, Species Identification)- worth 50 Points
- Breed ID (20 Breeds with 10 Questions on Origination, Scientific Name Classification, and Breed Characteristics)- worth 50 Points
- Feed ID (25 Feeds to ID)- worth 50 Points
Stock Show University